Following components are needed in the composter:
- Raw materials for compost. Mix different types of organic garbage and place them in the bucket mixed or layer by layer:
- Browns. Leafs, newspaper, cardboard.
- Other food scrap.
- Air. In the bucket, drill holes on a side and in the top cap. The more holes the better. Without holes, bad odor comes.
- Warm temperature. The warmer the better for composting. 25-30 Celsius is great. However, in colder climate composting is also possible. It will just be slower.
- Moisture. Water, urine etc. Spray everything with water on a regular basis.
- Mix. Mix the compound on a regular basis.
- Sunlight. It is not crucial for composting. So there is no need to place it under the sun.
- Other optional notes:
- Put a layer of regular soil in the bottom of the bucket.
- Cover the last(top) layer with soil - it will fasten the process and prevent smells.
- Cover the soil layer with dry leafs. They will help to keep moisture and heat inside of the bucket.
Time needed: 2-3 months to complete composting process.